Wednesday 14 October 2015

Primary Research

What is primary research?
Primary research is new information you have carried out yourself that cannot be found anywhere else. The information can be found through questionnaires, surveys and interviews, all affective in there own ways. 

What are the negatives and the positives of both types of research?

Primary research is effective because it allows you to find the specific information you may need for a task, sometimes secondary research can be unreliable, for example the source where you may get your information may be false and not true. So by doing your own primary research can ensure that you get reliable useful information. Sometimes there might not be any secondary research available, doing your own primary research ensures that you get the information you need. However primary research can have some negative effects, for example like with my questionnaire more people my age (e.g 16-20) answered the questions so I did not have access to a lot of results from different age ranges. Only forty people answered my questionnaire meaning that I did not have access to lots of results meaning that my questionnaire was not as accurate as it could have been. These are the sorts of areas where secondary research excels because they have the chance to get to a wide amount of people that are all a variety of ages. The secondary research could have been done a long time ago where the results would have been different to how they would be today, by doing your own primary research you can make sure that you get the most up to date information as possible.

How did I construct my Questionnaire?
My questionnaire was very simple and easy to answer meaning that I managed to get a lot of information from a wide variety of people. The questions that I asked can be seen on the pictures on this blog post. I asked my questions in a particular order so that it would make sense and meant that I could get more information. e.g. My first question was, 'What is your gender?' and the question after was, 'Do you use YouTube?' this meant I could find out if more women watch YouTube that men or vise versa. There were also no multiple choice questions in my questionnaire because I only wanted to find out certain information, for example when I asked, 'What type of videos do you watch?' only giving people one choice meaning that people had to thing harder about the question and I got more specific information. Looking at the results I have got, it looks like YouTube is very popular and that people seem to enjoy it so much that they return to the site daily. More than half of the people who did the survey enjoy YouTube over Television, this may be down to the wide variety of different genres they can watch at anytime. Looking at some of my results I have found out that to have the best chance of having the most successful channel you must, be a gaming channel that uses YouTube to publish their videos. You must also upload videos daily to appeal to the audience that uses YouTube everyday.
Qualitative and Quantitate meaning
Quantitate information is numerical data that can be converted into statistics, it can be used to find out facts and find patterns in results an example of this could be the bar chart about, 'How often do you use YouTube' because its data that can be put into a numerical form.

Qualitative information is non numerical data this is usually used to uncover trends and opinions. It is also used to gain an understanding that may have been hard to see before.

No comments:

Post a Comment