Tuesday 6 October 2015

Monster Poster

My final product:
This is the final version of my monster poster, I am very happy with how it turned out. The picture is a zoom into the monsters face, I did this because it adds a sense of mystery to the poster, only seeing the monster's face makes you wonder what he looks like head to toe. I used the effect of zooming into the monsters face because there was a monsters inc poster that also used this effect and I thought it looked very interesting. The colour of my monster's head was always going to be red because of the way the head looked so because the colour red stands out I decided that if I were to zoom into the monsters head and only use that as the poster it would catch the viewers eyes. The colours used for my poster all fit well together and do not look out of place also the colours black and red have always been stereotypical of evil, blood and hate so it does give you an idea on what type of genre the movie is going to be.

In our first lesson we had to draw our own monsters for each other and use them in our poster. After we had done this we were told that we had to draw these monsters on Illustrator, we did this by using the pen tool. Most of us had never used the pen tool before so this was the first time for a lot of people. So for our second lesson we were shown how to use the pen tool correctly. It started off being very confusing and weird to use but after a some paying around with it on some pen tool games and tracing over some lines we had become very good at using the pen tool.

As I talked about briefly before, the colour scheme for my poster is very eye catching. Hierarchy is a term commonly used by graphic designers and its meaning is, 'where the viewers eyes go first'. The first thing people would look at in my poster would probably be the eyes of the monster, this is because they stand out against the other colours like the red and the black. Their eyes would probably move to the title of the film, also because the colour white stands out against the other colours. Thirdly I think the viewers eyes would either go to the date of the film or the slogan of the film. The poster is very basic and does not include a lot of information like other posters so with these two being the only information left it would only seem logical that the viewer looks at one of those two next. As mentioned earlier there is not a lot on my poster making my poster look bland and not interesting, so the text had to be made bigger to make up for this. However this worked out fine, and the text was easily readable a clear inline with the eyes and middle of the magazine. The font that I used was called, 'Charlemagne Std Bold' I used this font because it fits with the genre of the film, most fonts that try and look scary/intimidating end up looking over done or unreadable the font I use however did not.

The early stages of my poster:

2 comments:

  1. Nice job, the poster turned out great. You did what many artist and designers do, found inspiration in another piece and made it your own with colours and fonts. I like how you zoomed in on the face and think the colour choices work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, the poster turned out great. You did what many artist and designers do, found inspiration in another piece and made it your own with colours and fonts. I like how you zoomed in on the face and think the colour choices work well.

    ReplyDelete