Tuesday 2 February 2016

Audio Equipment

In our last lesson after we had finished writing up our blog posts, we were set off to experiment with the different audio equipment provided by the college. I was quite unsure about what I wanted to do for my project, however as seen in my blog post I had the 60 second news report in mind. I decided to look at all of the different possibilities of audio when it came to using the equipment just in case I happened to change my mind and go for the Instagram video or the radio sitcom. 

I decided to stay around Issy due to her also not being quite sure on what to do either. We looked at the various different types of portable mics, listening back to the audio that we recorded using the; foley, boom and normal microphones. It was apparent that these mics would be great for use outside and if or project featured something that had to be recorded outside we knew the proper equipment to use and how to use it correctly. I also glanced at the audio recording equipment that the others were using and practicing with, it looked all very complected but from what I heard from the others the audio that was picked up sounded great. These types of mics would probably be ideal for my news report, so I will be sure to check them out the next time I get the chance.

Audio Equipment Testing

When it came to the recordings it sounded like the audio was best picked up when there wasn't a cover that protects the mic from the wind. The audio that we recorded inside came out the best in my opinion because it was clear to hear and there were not a lot of things that overpowered my voice. However it came out quite echo like and I think if I were to use the foley microphone I would use it in a room where noise cannot bounce. 

The foley mic with the protective cover and the boom mic made my voice sound a bit muffled and unclear, if I were to use it in my piece I would have to turn up the recorded audio to match the volume of everything else. If I had to choose between the both of them I would choose the boom mic for the shier reason that no wind was picked up on the microphone. 

Lastly I used the foley microphone without a cover, the result of this was quite a loud sound of the wind hitting the mic, if I were to use this in my project it would end up sounding very unprofessional and annoying to the audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment