Wednesday 10 May 2017

Making my website Day 4

Link to Time-Lapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeEK8oYnX8

So, today I got on right away with my forum.  I decided to add examples of posts because I could not integrate a forum type way of posting content on Muse and so I would have to use other alternatives. This annoyed me a bit but at least I could show examples of how posts would look and the whole voting system. I really wanted the forum to be as easy to understand as possible. I didn't want there to be lots of clutter on the page and put people off sticking around. Like I have said before, the forum is one of the main parts of the site and I don't want people to 'not' try it and therefore 'not' get the full experience. My users shouldn't have to learn even more and jump through numerous hoops to understand the site, this will just turn people away. 

I also created the product page and this would allow you to look at some of the most recent posts and content made for furniture. I wanted this to be on the top bar so that when users visit the site, they can easily check if new content has been made. I really don't want users to miss out on new content and I don't think users would be happy if they were not told about new content for the site. It also shows that the site is being cared for and managed well and that it is constantly growing - users will appreciate this especially if they have an account with the site.

I was also reminded about the rating system for each reviewed product so I added that to the products as well. This was something that I pushed at the start and was one of the main things I wanted to put on the site so I am glad that I remembered this in time. 

One of the last things I did today to complete my site was the FAQ. I thought that this would once again make the site a bit easier to understand. I decided to show my site to a few of my friends and asked them if they had any questions and if they didn't understand anything. I got a few great questions from them and decided to add them to the page. This page would be edited in the future, if new pages were added or if common questions were posted on the forum then they would be on the FAQ. I need to make sure though, that there are not too many questions on the FAQ as people just want to see if their answer is there and do not want to read through 10s or even 100s of 'common questions'.

I also readjusted all pages to make sure that they all have the same page layout. For example, a gap in between the footer and the main page and making sure that all the fonts and the colours were used in the right place. I didn't want anything to look out of place or give anything attention when it really doesn't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment