Wednesday 30 November 2016

Typography and photography

Rave magazines were weird in that some issues would include the a different font for the 'Rave' logo. They would only do this if they were releasing a exclusive edition or if they had someone very special on the font cover. I found this to be quite odd, and in my eyes did not really make a whole lot of sense. I really like how they gave the text a bit of depth and would sometimes put parts of the text behind the main person on the cover. I will be doing this for my own magazine. The cover of most of the magazines did not include a lot of pugs, I do not know why, this ended up making the cover quite bare and boring. It also does not provide the user with a lot of information on what they should expect to find inside. Some of the 'rave' magazines also included a '!' in their logo, I think that it did look better with the '!' however I think they could have just made the text upper case allowing it to be a bit more explosive and eye catching.

Looking at the double page spread below you can see that the text is laid out quite well and makes for an easy read. I feel like the text is left out and that the image is the main focus for the article even tho it may not be their original goal. If I want to create the authentic feel that we are meant to achieve then I will have to make sure that I do this when creating my double page spreads. Colour was also very expensive back then and this is the reason why these images do not include colour. Once again I will have to incorporate this into my work. 'Tremultous' is drawn to look very wavy and bubbly because that was a cool thing to do back then that appealed to people. I like the way how the text flows around the people and how it is used as a title to the main article.

In many magazines there were errors in the way the text was laid out. This sometimes resorted in bits of text looking a bit odd and different to one another. This might have been due to technology and the cost of getting it all printed again being too large. I might want to do this when creating my pages so that I can get a better authentic feel.  

Photographs used in magazines back then were very professional looking. The people in the photos however always looked very different to how you would see people in magazines now a days. Their clothes were very extravagant and eye catching to fit with the style back then. Using product in mens hair back then was very out of the ordinary so most mens hair would be very bushy and untidy. Not all photos were cropped and altered the same way, as you can see in the image below for the big image they cut around the singers and did not use the background when taking the photo. While the other includes a background, this may have been used to add a bit more to the bland black and white that people were probably use to seeing on magazines back then. When creating my pages I will have to do some of this myself. 

Almost every photo looked like it was from a photo shoot people in the photos were not trying to give off a vibe like they were just doing their own natural thing. Quite a lot of images were drawn back then as well to cut back on the amount of money it would cost to print a picture and shoot it. This also meant that drawings could be used to make the page look a little more interesting than just plain text.

No comments:

Post a Comment